Sudan's RSF paramilitary says it will enter into ceasefire

AFP

The head of Sudan's Rapid Support Forces has said late on Monday that his paramilitaries would immediately enter into a three-month humanitarian truce, after US President Donald Trump said he would intervene to seek an end to the war.

The US, UAE, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, known as the Quad, earlier this month proposed a plan for a three-month truce followed by peace talks.

The RSF responded by saying it had accepted the plan, but soon after attacked army territory with a barrage of drone strikes.

Monday's statement appeared to announce a unilateral ceasefire, revealed a day after Sudan's army chief rejected the Quad's proposals.

"In response to international efforts, chiefly that of US President Donald Trump ... I announce a humanitarian ceasefire including a cessation of hostilities for three months," General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo of the RSF said in a speech on Monday. "We hope the Quad countries will play their role in pushing the other side to engage with this step."

His comments come at a time when the RSF has come under fire for brutal attacks on civilians in the aftermath of its takeover of the city of El Fasher in late October.

That takeover cemented its control of the Darfur region, and the force has subsequently stepped up attacks on the Kordofan region in a bid to take control of the country.

Sudan's army chief, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, in his speech on Sunday accused the US proposal of aiming to weaken the Sudanese army while allowing the RSF to maintain the territory it has seized. "No one in Sudan will accept the presence of these rebels or for them to be part of any solution in the future," Burhan said. 

The war in Sudan, which broke out in April 2023 over disagreements on integrating the two groups, in addition to plunging Sudan into famine, has killed tens of thousands of civilians, particularly in ethnically-based bloodshed.

The RSF has been accused of genocide, and both Dagalo and Burhan have been sanctioned by the US.

More from International news

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

News