Macron extends France's lockdown until May 11

Ludovic MARIN / POOL / AFP

French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday announced the decision to extend the lockdown, claiming the battle against coronavirus is not yet over.

During a televised address, he admitted that progress had been made and the current rules were working.

"I fully understand the effort I'm asking from you," he said. "When will we be able to return to a normal life? I would love to be able to answer you. But to be frank, I have to humbly tell you we don't have definitive answers."

Schools and shops would progressively reopen on May 11, Macron announced, adding that restaurants, hotels, cafes and cinemas will remain shut.

Meanwhile, all flights from non-European countries continue to prohibited until further notice.

The four-week lockdown was originally scheduled to end on Tuesday.

So far, the country has recorded more than 136,00 positive cases and nearly 15,000 deaths. 

"We'll have better days, and we'll return to happy days," Macron added.

 

More from International news

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

News